FeralPony and Roku Discuss Preseason Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kylinz

04-12-2012

Just throwing out some thought here.

Example : Twitch, Ulti on, madreds bloodrazor on, + Runaan's Hurricane ( or kog maw for that matter ) Champs will need to get serious remakes for these items to remain balanced in the way of applying to certain champs. Kog maw doing 10% of max hp on possibly their entire team? Twitch same go, but 4% x5 x each hit. Before launching this patch/update give some real consideration with items interaction with abilities from certain champs. Not saying this patch is not good, I love it! It is allround awesomesauce! Not to mention throwing in the new sword of the divine in that whole bunch of scenarious. Phreak will remake his statement from Tons of damage to Millions of damage xD. Overall I like it, every champ will be played differently from here on out, in ways you can't imagine yet untill tried. Mobafire, it was nice knowing your guides, time to burn that book, and start a new one xD. I am not gonna thank each and every employee on Riot staff, Because each and every one of them did their part and the results are looking good in theory, let's pray for the practical part to be awesome aswell, Thanks Riot! Keep it up!

Greetings!

Kylinz, EUW

Tagui

04-12-2012

Where is the energy bonus?You disable it?..

OopsAir

04-12-2012

Good time!
Defender mastery is a bit useless, isn't it? It can save u if whole enemy team decide to gank u at first minutes, but when does it happen?
But i can think about one useful option "detecting hidden enemies". So question is "how is this mastery calculated?"

efecand

04-12-2012

Bit disappointed because surge can be reworked instead of remove

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

04-12-2012
9 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784BUL View Post
Why not add a summoner spell that counters AP more? - We got exhaust to counter an ad carry (okay it affects casters abit)

But I was thinking of a summoner spell that shortly silences and steals abit mana or so?

Cause now competitive play is always the same..
Exhaust, ignite, flash and smite. Sometimes teleport.
Exhaust actually works very effectively against burst casters currently despite the dps being lower. This has to do with AP Casters spiking their damage. Their entire burst damage being lowered by a percentage is a lot more powerful against a carry who has consistent damage output.

Example -
Imaginary AP Carry deals 1000 up front damage and 100 damage per second after the first burst combo. Over 10 seconds Imaginary AP Carry would deal 2000 damage.

Imaginary AD Carry Champion deals 200 damage per second. Over 10 seconds Imaginary AD Carry would deal 2000 damage.

AP Carry
.65 * (1000 + (100*2.5)) + (100 * 7.5) = 1562.5

AD Carry
.3 * (200*2.5) + (200*7.5) = 1650

Also considering that often AD Carry sustained damage is higher than double that a AP Carry. This value is even more skewed in their favor. There are a lot of other variables and mechanics to consider with this but Exhaust is very powerful against APs and ADs even though it looks way more punishing to AD carries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagui View Post
Where is the energy bonus?You disable it?..
The old bonus energy honestly wasn't very good. It was trapping a lot of people investing points that really weren't worth it and made the mastery messy in general. If there is enough demand for this though I'll talk it over with a few of the other live designers about putting it back but there are no current plans to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OopsAir View Post
Good time!
Defender mastery is a bit useless, isn't it? It can save u if whole enemy team decide to gank u at first minutes, but when does it happen?
But i can think about one useful option "detecting hidden enemies". So question is "how is this mastery calculated?"
Defender at a minimum gets you 1 Armor and Magic Resist in nearly every important engagement in the game (jungling it is less important though in the early part of the game). This 1 Armor and Magic Resist alone is worth the 1 point investment needed. However, this value is improved in scenarios where you are being ganked, and drastically improved in the teamfight stage where initiator champions will get 3 or 4 bonus Armor and Magic Resist giving it considerable value.

As for how it works mechanically it only works on enemies you can see. Because you are right we didn't want the mastery to be used to reveal hidden enemies.

Debbus

04-12-2012

How does Biscuiteer work? It grants a cookie? When, and how do i consume the cookie? Is it just the same as a health/mana potion which you get free of charge when you spawn the first time? And is it chocolate chip?

Brakka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Fiver View Post
Are you guys seriously trying to make it impossible for champions to jungle?!
Removing Indomitable and tough skin effect junglers MUCH more...

I do hope hecarim is still viable in the jungle, we already know he gets pounded early..
He is, he will get a small buff on his base attack damage and AD/lvl, and the machette will help him alot
Also Stonewall already jungled with him (before the buff), he is not the safest bet, but he is viable

They made the jungle harder, but the machette is there to compensate the difficulty, and youll get that item + 5 pots on almost every jungler

Betting Blind

04-12-2012

Hey FeralPony, can you tell me when you guys are finally going to fix Windowed Borderless?

It's been bugged for MONTHS now and you haven't done a single thing to fix it or even acknowledge its broken (as far as I can tell).

Perhaps a little word on this would be good?

Scythh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

@ FeralPony, I hope you also voted for Hecarim being a Pony instead of a horse!
Did you? And I think this is an important topic to discuss, so please answer

Vaylen Obscuras

04-12-2012

The updates seem GREAT. With these, Riot has really shown that they care about the game. I have been part of many other games, some similar to this, some with had similar balancing issues or meta-issues. And in most games, things like that do not get changed - Riot has, with these new updates, reworked their whole game-mechanic. And that thought alone makes you deserve respect, so good job. I have always been trying to improve games, even though I am just a little member, and in some cases, I even got to have a word in the game-mechanics - so I have rather much experience about such things. So I can say again, you did a great job.

But now, no designer wants praise - they want criticism off the constructive kind~ So lets see what I have to say.

Lets begin with Masteries: First off, i think one Mastery may have a slight tendency to OP: Tenacious it was, if I am correct. These 15% Tenacity + the obligatory Merc Treads give you a whole 50% Tenacity - which I view as rather much. The 15% alone are very strong, and Merc Treads are rather chap and can be gotten right at the beginning. I see the potential of OP-ness there very much.

Another thing with the Masteries:
The new Utility-Tree is great but~ There are too many 3-point masteries, which strikes me as nuisancial - It is hard to customize, as you do not have endlessly many points and usually want to keep your 9 in different masteries. So maybe, you should could some masteries down on being 2-point masteries - maybe with decreased effect, maybe not. It would make customization much easier.

Then the offense Tree... If you have an AP and get the 21 in offense, you face one problems: NO room for real customiztion. Many of the "obligatory points" are 4-point-Masteires, which leave no room for AP's to customize. Maybe you should decrease the number of 4-point masteries and add some new, more interesting masteries(Like Frenzy for the AD's)
The typical AD also does not have much of a choice: But they at least have a lot more variety and, IMO, "stronger" points than AP's have, generally.
Also, the first two tiers of the Offense Tree concern me: In both, you are pretty much "forced" to take 4 points in certain masteries, leaving, again, no room for customization. A similar problem arises, with the need to take the 4-points in the first tier of the defensive tree - you want the veteran scars, and that limits your customization, especially for the first 9 points.

All in all, you should try to add more "situational" or "champ/playstyle-dependant"-masteries and decrease the heavy amount of 4-points masteries in the Offensive tree and 3-point-masteries in teh Utility tree. Also, you could try to bring in customization via the first 9 points, which are often taken, as especially the 9th point is usually a rewarding one.

No to get on the matter of items:
The item changes are great - It allows customizing tailored to your playstyle, which is a great move. However, I noticed that there are rather many shields to come through active abilities... Wouldn't that be a bit much there? Especially an Athene's/Seraph's combination may be powerful, turning even karthus non-squishy. All in all, I also think that there are a tad too many actives overall - that number could reduce a bit, possibly. Sometimes, one just searches for the perfect stat-combination after all.

Also, there are is a item that strikes me as REALLY powerful: Runic Bulwark. It simply screws over AP's. 30 more MR for the team? That is heavy.

And I still see some flaw in terms of itemization: AP's - especially manaless ones - have rather limited choices. Especially in terms of boots: Sorc-Boots are simply the only viable for most AP'S, as they are just powerful. AD's do not have to deal with that problem at all, as the Berserker Greaves are simply no "must" to them. This is something, which could be changed by adding more early-game mpen items, for example.
In any case, the itemization for AP's has increased - yet it is still not that high, as there are too many "musts".

Also, what I want to know: What exactly do you expect from the changes to arpen/mpen in conjuction with the fact, that armor and mr is a lot more costly than it was before?