An interesting read from the perspective of a "noob" player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreamer IX

24-11-2012

Oh have I not been there. Back when I tried to play League of Legends, "do not overextend" is all everybody kept yelling me. And yet I kept getting killed over and over again. My average game was 0 kills, 1 assist and 20 deaths, and then I just gave up entirely on the game.

Honestly...

The "MOBA" genre is not for everybody. I'd rather take a death for the team rather than focus on PvP combat, but that's not how the genre works.
PvP combat can be extremely frustrating of its own. Even when you try to "cheese things up" and use all your powers at once on the same enemy, a skilled player can easily see what's coming for him, dodge that one barrage and then demolish you entirely with his own. Then you're left to stare at a cryptic "Death recap" thing that really just throws names and numbers at you.

The "not overextending" thing is pretty counter-intuitive and hard for new players. How much should you extend anyway? Why should you keep off from your only source of gold and experience when you're lagging behind in both? How can you possibly keep an eye on the minimap and the chat and your surroundings at all tim— damn, my last minion died and the tower killed me. Oh well.

The more you lag behind, the more you die, the more you need that experience, the more desperately you go after it... and you end up feeding. It's a spiral of suck that's hard to get out of mentally.

So, all I can really tell you as a person that eventually accepted not having any hope for success in LoL: we're not necessarily feeding, we're not necessarily trolling, we're not necessarily enjoying this. Sometimes we're trying our hardest to try and like this game everybody's crazed about and yet things just don't click, and then you get annoyed and frustrated about it and perhaps even start getting rude about it towards people honestly trying to help you out. And then you quit entirely. Like I have.

It's not really your fault and I don't know if it's really our fault either. If you're approaching the game with the entirely wrong mindset, perhaps the fault lies in the game itself? I don't have an answer honestly.

EDIT: I didn't write this, just read this somewhere.

Murkked

24-11-2012

if the game isn't challenging then the game isn't fun. lol is pretty good in the fact noobs go tower diving and stuff all the time early on and as they get better then they get matched up with better people. i think this kind've thing should be extended and that there should be a promotion of actual ways to create teams because you will hit a wall just playing solo q (you don't know if you are playing bad or if its the guys around you).

PoPoPrd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

24-11-2012

What are you talking about? There's this thing called matchmaking you won't play with someone extremely more skilled often mang.

Dreamer IX

24-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoPrd View Post
What are you talking about? There's this thing called matchmaking you won't play with someone extremely more skilled often mang.
Like I said, I didn't write this.

But also, your comment about match making is very untrue. Whilst that's how it should work in theory, there's always a time where it fails & the games aren't very well balanced & the skills aren't evened out at all.

Orbnur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

24-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoPrd View Post
Smurfs kinda destroy low-level matchmaking.
Also people who are banned and make a new account are generally not of the nicest kind.

Thats kinda ruining it for new players who are just confused by the game.

My luck I started in Beta, back then everybody sucked. :P

Hallucinatra

24-11-2012

Play a ranged champion, you won't have so many problems with overextending.

HanzUltra

24-11-2012

I feel a bit sry for whoever wrote this. Because LoL is actually a very complex game. And if I wouldn't have an almost 10y RTS experience and some friends who are exceptionally good players to help me out, I'd prolly be lost too. Especially when the first lvl5 smurf comes around and yells at me something like "WTF DONT FEED LIKE A NOOBTARD!! GET WARDS FFS DONT LET GANK NOOB!!!" And I'm like "???"

It's a rough start. I strongly recommend this programm though http://www.fakegaming.eu/AaN/forums/...16fdbec648ab93

dartsandbeers

24-11-2012

As a new player myself, the best thing for me was that i actually LISTENED and read every detail of the tutorial, REMEMBERED everything that was said and actually tried to implement it into my first few games.

Sure the tutorial isn't perfect but it really really helps to pay attention to instead of skipping all the tips and blindly jumping in.

Just like school, you gotta learn what to do before you take the test.

someone010101

24-11-2012

It's PvP, not PvE. Never played PvE, only videogame I did play was a bit wc3 and I never had much trouble.

LOWENDUS

24-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1ttle Dream3r View Post
If you're approaching the game with the entirely wrong mindset, perhaps the fault lies in the game itself?
No...no...no...
The game is just fine.

The people are the problem.

Especially some "Pros" who forget they were uber noobs themselves until they got the hang of this game and learnt how to survive good enough to begin being useful in teams.

Nothing p!sses me off more than this regarding LoLs' community.

Some numbskulls in here behave like they started pentakilling everybody from the moment they locked in their first free champion rotation champ.