Golden Joystick MMO LoL???

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ymir

Player Behaviour Expert

Follow Ymir on Twitter

17-10-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjrn View Post
OK..so I was wondering..why is LoL at the MMO catagorie? Ok it's massive it's Multiplayer and it's Online, but what abuot MOBA? Massive Online Battle Arena..thats what LoL actually is and there is no catagorie for it...probably because it isn't fair ..anyway..

Ofcourse I voted for my favourite game LoL but is this a valid win for them, knowing it isn't a real MMO??
We do tick quite a lot of the boxes there, but as the GJ guys themselves put it there isn't a category we fit into 100% right now. Maybe there will be in the future, either way it's a great honour to get the nomination.

I'll be at the event in person again this year and it always feels like the end of a year to me when it rolls round. The last couple of times I had to give interviews on camera and looked hideous

Kriexy

17-10-2012

I wouldn't say it's an MMO, it's more of an MO because you can't play more than 10 persons in each instance at the same time. THat is, not massive. Massive is a large number.
Interesting statement above though....

duXie duXe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

17-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir View Post
We do tick quite a lot of the boxes there, but as the GJ guys themselves put it there isn't a category we fit into 100% right now. Maybe there will be in the future, either way it's a great honour to get the nomination.

I'll be at the event in person again this year and it always feels like the end of a year to me when it rolls round. The last couple of times I had to give interviews on camera and looked hideous
Isn't this the 3rd year that LoL has been nominated? Gratz Riot on that feat.

Dragomiran

17-10-2012

It's definitely not massive multiplayer online. "Massive" implies that there's some sort of persistant world, or at least something on a much grander scale than the 5v5 which is the maximum in LoL.

But there's no other better category to put it in, so they put it under MMO. Besides, people rarely differentiate between MMOG and MOG anymore, so whatever.

As for why not a MOBA category... well, with what? HON and Smite and Awesomenauts? Is that even a contest?

ztrexx

17-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpinttas View Post
LOL is a MMO RTS (realtime strategy).
MOBA is a new designation for these types of games and not everyone uses it, still kinda recent.
RIOT loves it of course.

MOBA can also be the Museum of Bad Art, check it out: http://www.museumofbadart.org/
MOBA is the only correct term you can use on LOL.

I dont what the number is for going from Multiplayer Online, to Massive Multiplayer Online is, but i know it is way more than 10, witch is what lol is provideing atm.

Dragomiran

17-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpinttas View Post
LOL is a MMO RTS (realtime strategy).
MOBA is a new designation for these types of games and not everyone uses it, still kinda recent.
RIOT loves it of course.

MOBA can also be the Museum of Bad Art, check it out: http://www.museumofbadart.org/
Age of Empires Online is an MMORTS (albeit not a good one)
Lords of Ultima is an MMORTS (albeit an absolutely terrible one)
LOL is NOT an MMORTS because it's not an MMO and it definitely has nothing to do with RTS.