Save Finales Funkeln

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dravoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

31-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petkorazzi View Post
Hello, guys. My name is Petkorazzi

Finales Funkeln Forever!
Thanks for your post, Petkorazzi - that's really great that you went to so much trouble just to post here!

I just want to clarify directly to you - I don't think that this change is what North America wants, I merely think that Riot seem to be under the delusion that North America wants it. I don't think North Americans are stupid or in need of having things "dumbed down" for them at all, I just think that Riot's actions imply that they seem to think that - I don't agree with them in the slightest! I'm a man of the world and have met more than enough North Americans that don't conform to this stereotype and Europeans that do to stop me from every stereotyping an entire nation. It's a shame that these stereotypes do exist and that people seem to encourage them with things like this.

Keep up the good work, my North Americans brothers - together, we'll do our best to stop this change! *inter-continental fist bump*

I'd really appreciate it if you could relay this message to the North American community on my behalf (Unfortunately, my work schedule, whilst allowing my to spend time on the forums, does not stretch to allowing my to level a smurf account on NA and I'm not sure my Internet could handle it either!)

Gorantharon

31-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPromi View Post
im not racist at all, op arguements and this posts concentrates on the opinion : im german and i like the name. take a good look and ull see that.
im irritated by the people who agree without even understanding the mentality of this whole thread.
i just wont agree with the people that wanna keep the name just because it sounds good to their own foreign language type on a european client that involves players of many linguistic diversities other than german.
i would react the same if i was german too
Ok, if we now consider reducing the client into English to keep words "understandable" let's remove:
-Mordekaiser (Made up word with the focus of sounding german)
-Heimerdinger (Same deal as above.)
-Dominus (Latin, not the language of scholars anymore so needs to be replaced.)
-Idol of Durand (Who the F is Durand?)
-Akali, Shen, Lee Sin. (Foreign names in non-western languages. In Shen's case definitely carrying a hidden meaning even.)
- Summon: Tibbers (Needs to be changed to Summon: Big Teddy Bear. Noone knows what a Tibbers is by common knowledge, as it is a MADE up name)
-Blitzcranck (What language is that even supposed to be?)
-Brand (Clearly the German word again. Needs to be changed to Fire or something like that.)
- Chum the Waters (Is that even English? I still maintain it was a typo when they released it, and just didn't want to admit it was supposed to be churn.)
- Hiten Style (Please show me HITEN in an English dictionary marked as an English word.)
- Death Lotus (Unusual iconography as the image and concept is distinctly NON-western.)
- Wuju Style (?)
-Ki Burst (Eastern philosophy term and concept.)

This game is chock full of words from several languages. That's why the REASON for the Lux change doesn't make any sense to me.
We have ba.starizations on an inane level in this game. Words build to sound like other langueages while sometimes even being painful to listen to for native speakers and THIS is what they change under the pretext of hard to understand?

Petkorazzi

31-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravoth View Post
Thanks for your post, Petkorazzi - that's really great that you went to so much trouble just to post here!

I just want to clarify directly to you - I don't think that this change is what North America wants, I merely think that Riot seem to be under the delusion that North America wants it. I don't think North Americans are stupid or in need of having things "dumbed down" for them at all, I just think that Riot's actions imply that they seem to think that - I don't agree with them in the slightest! I'm a man of the world and have met more than enough North Americans that don't conform to this stereotype and Europeans that do to stop me from every stereotyping an entire nation. It's a shame that these stereotypes do exist and that people seem to encourage them with things like this.

Keep up the good work, my North Americans brothers - together, we'll do our best to stop this change! *inter-continental fist bump*

I'd really appreciate it if you could relay this message to the North American community on my behalf (Unfortunately, my work schedule, whilst allowing my to spend time on the forums, does not stretch to allowing my to level a smurf account on NA and I'm not sure my Internet could handle it either!)
Thanks, Dravoth. If it helps keep Finales Funkeln unchanged it's totally worth the effort.

Also I wasn't specifically targeting anyone with my comments. It's just that in the course of following this thread over the last few days I've seen quite a few "this must be because the Americans can't handle a foreign name" posts and I just wanted to debunk that thought line. Quite the opposite, in fact. We think "Infinite Light" is a bland and unimaginative name that destroys part of who Lux is (she's always been intended as a Touhou reference with a slight German overtone...even her development name was "Luminance Fraulein").

We also find it a bit ridiculous to change this name on the basis of difficult pronunciation (an irrelevant point in many ways, but that's another argument) and it not being representative of the ability when there are other far worse names out there. Examples include Riposte (I have absolutely no clue how to say that), Zephyr (a Greek word meaning "west wind" for Janna's only non-wind attack that's also a slow...the opposite of what you think wind would do), and Dominus (isn't that Latin for "homeowner"?).

Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only way to see what an ability name to mouse over it...which also shows you the description of what it does?

It is ridiculous to think this name warrants any change at all. It's been there for two years...why the sudden belief that the millions of LoL players woke up one day and had some kind of epiphany that they could no longer handle it?

I've also written a letter to TotalBiscuit's Mailbox (if you're not familiar with him, he's a very popular YouTube variety gaming commentator) hoping to get his insight on this, and perhaps with enough people writing in about it he may cover it. The more exposure the better. It's becoming so much more than a simple ability name. It's a potentially ominous sign of how Riot treats their customer base over a non-balance-related piece of flavour text despite the community speaking very loudly and very clearly that they do not wish it to be changed.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys to it. Cross-Atlantic hugs all around. Keep up the good fight!

Ymir

Player Behaviour Expert

Follow Ymir on Twitter

31-07-2012
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Hey Guys,

I've got some more information to share with you after talking this over with our guys. In a vacuum, this change seems confusing and perhaps alarming – “why the f*** does Riot care about the name of one random ability?”

Let’s shed some light on that.

League of Legends is an evolving service – it’s not a finished product. It’s never going to be ‘done.’ This constant evolution means we also need to revisit older content on an ongoing basis – take the Ashe visual remake, for example.

The creative design team is in the midst of making some quality of life improvements to the story and characters of League of Legends. With over a hundred champions, the various factions they belong to, and plenty of other backstory to dive into, this is actually a pretty massive undertaking. More on that in the future, but for now, please understand this small change is in the context of a bigger project.

If we were making Lux today, we’d never name her ult ‘Finales Funkeln’ today. Here’s why:

It’s an incomprehensible in-joke that’s an obscure reference.
It’s a tip of the hat to another character’s ability from another game that’s been translated into German. This is unintelligible to most people, because they don’t get the joke. This is not pandering to the lowest common denominator – we’re talking about the vast majority of our players around the world here.

It’s hard to pronounce.
No, not just because it’s German. Once again, this isn’t about the lowest common denominator.

It doesn’t even come close to conveying what the ability does.
And Infinite Light does. Yeah, yeah, it’s not a global ability, but it's a pretty big ******* laser. A little hyperbole is just fine by us. We considered translating the name directly from German to English as “Final Spark,” but felt reference to electricity didn’t feel like Lux.

Is ‘Finales Funkeln’ original? Sure. But that doesn’t make it good for every player. This isn’t coming from a place of xenophobia. It’s a combination of the above problems that contribute to making the original name clunky and confusing.

We’re not going to change Udyr’s name just because it means “beast” in Norwegian. Udyr is four letters, fairly pronounceable in many languages, and the reference isn’t made at the expense of the majority of our players.

We know you guys care about lore in League of Legends, and that’s awesome. Don’t stop telling us what you think. Jayce was a great example of where we slipped up, and your feedback straight up made the game better. This situation is different: the name of Lux’s ultimate was something that we needed to change for the sake of readability and overall player experience and we feel the new name is appropriate.

TheQWERTYman

31-07-2012

Why so much hate on this change? It means almost nothing, most people are still going to call it Finales Funkeln.
Just because the tooltip has changed doesn't mean that the community is unable to use the ability.

Sorry, guys, but you're being a bit oversensitive. It's just a name, really.

Gorantharon

31-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir View Post

If we were making Lux today, we’d never her ult ‘Finales Funkeln’ today. Here’s why:

It’s an incomprehensible in-joke that’s an obscure reference.
See above. Your clarification sound sillier every time you add to it.

Dravoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

31-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymir View Post
Hey Guys,

We know you guys care about lore in League of Legends, and that’s awesome. Don’t stop telling us what you think. Jayce was a great example of where we slipped up, and your feedback straight up made the game better. This situation is different: the name of Lux’s ultimate was something that we needed to change for the sake of readability and overall player experience and we feel the new name is appropriate.
Thanks for your response, Ymir, and for shedding some light on the situation. A big thanks to Ymir for having the balls and drawing the short-straw on who gets to be the one posting this bad news here

Unfortunately, you've basically just said "Thanks for the feedback but here's why we know better:" and that really isn't going to go down well - I appreciate that you're just the messenger here and I don't envy you being the mouthpiece for the Rioters hiding behind anonymity who decided this change was necessary and are hiding to avoid facing their new-found overwhelming unpopularity.

This is a horrible change, Ymir, and this thread is filled with reasons for why, regardless of what Riot think this is almost universally unpopular. Riot does not know what we want and like better than we do.

Catchdown

31-07-2012

^Still don't understand why Infinite Light is better than Final Spark.
Why? I am not agreeing to the last point you make - Infinite Light really fails to express Lux ultimate - not only it's not global, it also appears for split of a second! Infinite? And - Light does not really sound as a harming word for me. It reminds me about heals, if about anything. Holy Light, flash Light. Blinding Light is about as harmful as Light goes.
Yet.
Final Spark.
Final makes way more sense as an adjective than Infinite. It shows that it's a finisher, that is going to be Final to an enemy. While Infinite... meh, it does not even reflect it's properties properly.
Spark.. Ah, electricity. Yes, thats certainly a mistake. But we all know that sparks appear for a split of second, and can cause serious harm. It sounds really fitting for lux ultimate, a quality that word Light does not have.
Ymir I want you to read it.

UncleBobbie

31-07-2012

MAKE IT FINAL SPARK.

DO IT.

MARISA WILL BE PLEASED.

Hahkil

31-07-2012

Quote:
We considered translating the name directly from German to English as “Final Spark,” but felt reference to electricity didn’t feel like Lux.
A Final Spark of Light doesn't have to reference electricity... Also, Sparklers don't use electricity as far as I am aware.

Quote:
It’s hard to pronounce.
Not rly, and even if people have a bit of trouble with it, who cares if they say Finals Fun-kiln or Finales Funkeln...

Quote:
It doesn’t even come close to conveying what the ability does.
Infinite Light really doesn't either, big =! infinite, if someone was to look at spell names only and use that to guess what they do (rly, who does that?), then Infinite Light would make them think of a clairvoyance ability, not a laser beam of death. Whereas Finales Funkeln conjures the image of something damaging due to the strong k in Funkeln and the obviousness to anyone that Finales = Final, regardless of if you understand the reference or not. Srsly...

Also the fact that not a single person has ever been seen to complain about it in it's original form, and not a single rioter bothered to mention they had any concerns at all, it all seems way too pointless to me.

And as someone mentioned before, we get it, Lux is a light mage, stop throwing it in everyone's face by using the word light, luminescence and other obvious light phrases in her abilities, spark is a perfect word for light that isn't too much of a direct phrase imo...

Edit: Just like to thank Ymir for at least being brave enough to inform us on what is happening, alot of concern about this on EU and NA forums and it seems to have been avoided by all other rioters