@Morello, your thoughts on healing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aogu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-02-2012

I just want to cry, I love the dedicated heal role and I would never have played this game without. Of my first 300 games... 250 must have been as Soraka. Because she was a healing machine, I could be awful, but cover it up and then be of at least some use XD

This is a personal plee, Im begging you not to change heal- I did see you said you're happy with it. But I also think that nerfing Sorakas mana giving or something similar would utterly destroy her in comparison to the other heal focused supports, who have far higher damage outputs, for similar heal quantities (especially Taric- Stun> Silence).

If you did adjust the E then you'd have to massively increase the ap scaling imo, and frankly I don't see that as a good decision because it already does do a strong amount of damage if you are building an AP soraka for mid, because of the silence effect. Playing soraka support and relying on your Q doesn't work, you screw up the last hits and the range judgement is unfriendly to new players.

Aniello

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-02-2012

Soraka has no good CC like other support have... no escape... she got hit hard from last nerf (yes it was a nerf, you can't say that improving her Q is a buff... do you spam your Q? Lane pushed, carry not helped, you can't shred dragon and baron anymore with it... and you aren't going to kill anyone with it alone).

And now, what are you going to do? Kill her E? Then I hope you are going to give her a stun or something better.

lukbenas

10-02-2012

i would say that if you nerf soraka by increasing her mana cost i dont think it will help anything in compare of healing in teamfights and if you reduce her ultimate healing effect it wouldnt be the great option,(karthus players will be happy about it) cos she is the chepeast support regardless to IP... but anyway since you making some changes to soraka there will be no more viable picks in solo Q ranked games anyone who has sona would dominate the bot lane you should consider about looking at the other supports aswell...

Morello

Lead Designer

10-02-2012
7 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saneaka View Post
Its nice to have Morello answer some questions...

I have a question regarding healing from items, specifically Life Steal...combined with other items Life Steal on AD Ranged characters can get out of hand and its much more powerfull than the Vamp version which consumes mana and isnt really spammable, Life Steal just requires AD to right click on enemies and as long as they are hitting they are healing.
Stacked PD's with BT's and a IE means fast hard hitting and healing up faster than a lot of champions can damage... its rather sad to see 3x PD's with a IE and BT on a Trynd.

Individually the items are fine, but the stacking is what breaks them ... it gets to a point that unless you can ALL pile on the AD at the same time, you simply cant kill them... or chain stun them so they cant hit things.

Isnt this worse than the little heals Sona and Soraka dish out periodically ?
Life Steal is too strong, it provides sustain for AD users easily while AP variants require more investment into the stat.

I do realise this doesnt effect the normal ranked stuff and tournament matches...you wont see high level play with 3 PD's or something silly but it does get out of hand in normals, and just makes the game drag on even longer in my opionion.
I would suggest a cap on life steal and AS.
I think the major problem here is how much effect you can get on minions in lane with this. Lifesteal is really balanced with the fact there should be an opportunity/engagement risk associated to it, so you have to be aggressive to restore your health. The amount gotten from minions really skews this in lane.

I'm not as sure about late-game lifesteal - that is a good place for Executioner's Calling, Ignite, or a character-specific healing debuff to deal with it. Since lifesteal needs a lot of gold to be powerful enough to sustain through a teamfight, it can be reasonable to expect a cheaper gold-based counter to it to be used if it gets crazy.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-02-2012
8 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniello View Post
Soraka has no good CC like other support have... no escape... she got hit hard from last nerf (yes it was a nerf, you can't say that improving her Q is a buff... do you spam your Q? Lane pushed, carry not helped, you can't shred dragon and baron anymore with it... and you aren't going to kill anyone with it alone).

And now, what are you going to do? Kill her E? Then I hope you are going to give her a stun or something better.
If something is nerfed a lot, but is still a really strong pick, that means it's not overnerfed

Soraka's there right now, and if all she has to offer, currently, is unlimited mana, then we can rebuff to compensate once we allow her to run out of gas in lane.

lukbenas

10-02-2012

Morello you guys have to hit on sona Q cos early dmg on Sona Q its just insane thats why ppl stopped running any other supports appart soraka and sona somtimes ali + taric, so if you hit on soraka sustain regarding mana then sona will be the big issue regarding the SOLO Q ranked games

Dukaki

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
If something is nerfed a lot, but is still a really strong pick, that means it's not overnerfed

Soraka's there right now, and if all she has to offer, currently, is unlimited mana, then we can rebuff to compensate once we allow her to run out of gas in lane.
Thanks for the response.
Reading between the lines: :Soraka destroyed on next patch. Buff might come in 100 years.
Keep nerfing champions so that other champions have to be nerfed to bring balance.
Buff no one and be happy that vlad has now -2 sec on 12 sec cd ....
Prepping email for acc deletion b4 playing this game will become right-clicking...

Aniello

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post

Soraka it's not taken because is op, strong pick or "not overnerfed".

Soraka is a playstile, every champ has his strong point. Some people love Lee Sin for his combo, some people love Tryndamere for his combat style, some like GankPlank because they are vegetarian, some like Vladmir because had no-mana / healing problem... and some like Soraka because... they want to give help this way.

If you think they are so strong pick... why don't u offer more choices? There are only 5 common support (Taric, Alistar, Sona, Janna, Soraka... Karma and Kyle I can't even consider them...) and ALL of them are getting nerfed every day.

I mean, I find it normal Soraka, Sona and Janna are hight % played champ... since there are so few champ that fits the Support meta...

You will end killing support players in this game... and I want to see how 2 players will argue for the "botlane's carry spot".

Iridya

10-02-2012

The problem of Soraka is that she leads to a passive gameplay. If you harass a lane against Sona, Janna or Taric you know they can go out of mana, in this way you force them to back and you get a sort of advantage (last hits, level gap). With soraka it's a different story, in the early levels you can't outdmg her for 2 reasons:

no carry early-game has the dmg to outsustain soraka
if the carry is too much damaged they will towerhug for some seconds, heal back, and go last hit again.

When you got soraka it's too much hard to deal. Yes you can pick Missfortune or tristana as counters. Have you consider that tristana early game is not good? she can't trade alot, soraka will just heal again the carry or herself. Miss Fortune it's the same story, if you have a caitlyin or a graves...well good luck.

Soraka in my opinion brings too much to the carry. The mana fix might work, i hope it will.

Statikk Shyv

10-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridya View Post
Have you consider that tristana early game is not good?
Scuze me?

And uhh, Morello, Im gonna go offtopic here but.. http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=580869