@Morello, your thoughts on healing?

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Graablarbl

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Healing is a really tough design issue, generally. On one hand, it's an easy-to-understand way to help your team out (life goes up, woo!) and it appeals to a certain enabling playstyle that some players really enjoy. On the other hand, it can easily get out of line (and in many games does) by putting too much focus on healing satisfaction.

In LoL, the goal for healing is to allow it to undo some damage, but to have a long-term or opportunity cost associated with it - for example, running out of mana, or a big effect with a long cooldown. I think we've got healing-focused characters (Sona, Soraka and Taric, specifically) balanced in their total healing output, but those associated costs aren't always balanced. Soraka having essentially infinite mana really deters this, which we're fixing next patch.

Overall, I think it's easy to go "Wow, Riot doesn't like healing" and extrapolate that into us hating support. The real thing here, is that we think dedicated healers (characters who entire job is to heal other people) are problematic, but we like supports as a class - and we think there's a lot of definitions of support. All healers are support, not all support are healers.
Hi mr nerfbat

Dragorune

09-02-2012

@ BlackPandemic and everybody who plays and loves supports
Hey would like to know what you think of a champion idea which is a mix between a tank and a support, which has ranged attacks. Ofcourse it has lower resistances and health than the usual tanks.

If you like the idea you could take a look here:
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?p=6164692

Statikk Shyv

09-02-2012

Why exactly is infinite mana a problem?

Riven, Renek, Tryn, Garen want to know.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-02-2012
2 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red of the North View Post
Why exactly is infinite mana a problem?

Riven, Renek, Tryn, Garen want to know.
It's not based on "infinite mana is bad always," it's the context of how that resource is used. In the healing example, you remove attrition from the situation, thereby encouraging only burst damage (at some point you get to "I either kill this guy outright, or he heals all the damage because I can't wear him down"). Casters or ranged characters can suffer the same issue, and it's why Kennen is really rough to deal with (no long-term attrition combined with range).

In the examples you've listed, these characters have the opportunity cost of being melee. The cost of their abilities is largely exposure to dangerous situations, and this is more acceptable on melee generally.

HMHS8

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Healing is a really tough design issue, generally. On one hand, it's an easy-to-understand way to help your team out (life goes up, woo!) and it appeals to a certain enabling playstyle that some players really enjoy. On the other hand, it can easily get out of line (and in many games does) by putting too much focus on healing satisfaction.

In LoL, the goal for healing is to allow it to undo some damage, but to have a long-term or opportunity cost associated with it - for example, running out of mana, or a big effect with a long cooldown. I think we've got healing-focused characters (Sona, Soraka and Taric, specifically) balanced in their total healing output, but those associated costs aren't always balanced. Soraka having essentially infinite mana really deters this, which we're fixing next patch.

Overall, I think it's easy to go "Wow, Riot doesn't like healing" and extrapolate that into us hating support. The real thing here, is that we think dedicated healers (characters who entire job is to heal other people) are problematic, but we like supports as a class - and we think there's a lot of definitions of support. All healers are support, not all support are healers.

Stop dumbing this game. Soraka's heal is sometimes annoying but it's far from being "game breaking - uncounterable". By nerfing soraka you are just telling ppl "hey guys you dont have to bring ignite nor buy executioners calling / counter pick with champions who have healing debuff, you can just play your own game and slap each other like in kindergarten where there's lot's of action but it's hard to hurt somebody."

This game feels like you cast a lot of skills and tons of animations going around but dmg is so low that instead of trying to outplay your enemy, you have to outnumber him via ganks etc, else they will escape in most situations.

Is it so hard to put hard CC on a skillshot with long rage instead of "CC on demand"? Make it like ashe arrow (not range wise but CC duration) if you land CC from far range it should last longer and from short range it should worn off faster.

hoizi35

09-02-2012

Soraka's heals are dumbing this game. Noone EVER picks Ignite only because of Soraka, people do it because they need it in lane. Have you ever seen a support or AD carry picking Ignite? That's right.

But Soraka forces a stalemate in lane just by being there, is that not dumbing?

Traenor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2012

Then what about Mundo and especially Vladimir? Vladimir has no risk associated with his sustain, and his health costs have basically been removed. If wearing down your opponent is important in more lane matchups than bot, why do no-resource or positive resource champs more often get sustain elements? (by positive resource i mean things like fury and heat).

I like the balance of this game, but sometimes i scratch my head and wonder, "Do having no resource in league of legends really be an as big tradeoff as it should be?"

HMHS8

09-02-2012

she got 20 sec cd on her heal, learn to ignite before she caster another heal. Counter pick with MF or Tris, and lol @ her heals. There's many ways to counter soraka and her heal, you are just being lazy faqqot who doesnt want to adapt and counter, since it's easier to whine @ forums for nerfs.

Blastoise

09-02-2012

Im glad Riot are finally addressing Soraka's free mana issue it will make laning vs her less frustrating.

I hope that Riot concentrate on making non sustain support champions in the future. I'm pretty sure good support champions can be made without giving them a low cooldown healing ability.

Morello

Lead Designer

09-02-2012
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
Im glad Riot are finally addressing Soraka's free mana issue it will make laning vs her less frustrating.

I hope that Riot concentrate on making non sustain support champions in the future. I'm pretty sure good support champions can be made without giving them a low cooldown healing ability.
We are too

We're making a new support champion in the very near future (not next champion, but it's close now) and there's not a healing focus. Janna is a good paradigm for support - fun, powerful and impactful without creating a lot of additional stagnation.

123456 ... 10