@Riot Can we get some new mechanics?...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

14-12-2011
89 of 129 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAxe View Post
What about a tank champion
who scales with armor, hp and MR.
Eg.
> A snare that scales with MR
> A shield that scales with Armor,
> A spell whos damage scales off hp
> Maybe a skill that passively boosts a stat?

IMO, not enough tank champions still :\
Because to be honest, there are only like 9 true tank champions*
And I really enjoy playing tanks

Depending on your classifications of course,
but Champions designed for their specific roles then there are:
Fighter: 23
Melee DPS: 14
Mage: 19
Ranged DPS: 14
Support: 8
Tank: 9
Our recent tough champions have been slanted much more towards the fighter end of things than the tank end, agreed. That's something we're aware of and will be balancing out a bit in future.

shadopaw

14-12-2011

Question For meddler.... Where is this UI from... Are we going to get it?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=340967&d=1323831876

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=340966&d=1323831860

Seriously that UI is sexy. And far more user freindly than the current fugly one

shadopaw

14-12-2011

^ pretty please with cherries on top

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

14-12-2011
90 of 129 Riot Posts

Noted Sotriuj r.e. various types of new traps, getting enough counterplay's the main thing we find we have to watch out for with traps, can create a very claustrophic/passive game otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnaOthar View Post
It's odd how you continue reading things and it just makes new ideas pop up

Currently, every trap is static, how about dynamic traps?

for example, having a trap in the form of an energy-ball patrol between 2 points or circle around a certain point.

Maybe this idea could even be extended to having objects circle around a minion or a champion.
(ridiculous example that shows the mechanic well : a teemo with 3 mushrooms rotating around him)

From this another mechanic that can be considered is a buff/debuff on a champion/minion that damages other enemies standing nearby ( like the lightning shield from warcraft 3)
Ahri uses some tech that'll help with this sort of thing, certain we'll explore ideas like that on future champions now we can.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

14-12-2011
91 of 129 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlic View Post
1. Sonar (Passive) - When an enemy is nearby an indicator (visual and audible) flashes, increased frequency with closer range. Does not visually reveal the enemy though, relatively short range. Gives a benefit for counter-junglers or counter-ganks.

2. Tree/Totem - Places a tree that grows over time/totem, granting increased stats to nearby allies.

3. Chain Heal - Placing a buff on a target champion that heals him the next time he takes damage from a champion. Lasts 5 seconds. If the target is attacked in those 5 seconds, the buff jumps to a nearby ally. Maximum of 3 jumps.

4. Slime/blob themed: encase/engulf - The champion attaches himself to an enemy champion, blocking all spells/damage done by the target, but also disabling himself for a short duration.

5. A spell that deals damage to an enemy, but also heals all nearby allies for a percentage of the damage done.

6. An ultimate skill that is spherical/circular. Any enemy that moves towards its point of origin is slowed, whilst allies are sped up moving away from it. This allows for getaways when a team fight is turning out poorly.

More support items would be nice too, and GP/5 items that build into more end-game items.
Sonar - similar gameplay to the heat vision discussed earlier, I could see something in this line working.

Straight heals we're pretty keen on avoiding at the moment, having the jumps only occur in combat or heal be based off damage dealt though is a nice restricting feature there though that helps limit out of combat sustain issues.

Point 6 sounds like an ultimate version of Orianna's speed/slow zone unless I'm misunderstanding you? The directional aspect's a neat point of nuance but I'm not sure it'd create significantly different gameplay to feel new and interesting.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

14-12-2011
92 of 129 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spielzeugauto View Post
Hi,

first of all, thank you Meddler for all these responses in this thread. It's very informative and I'm happy seeing something like this on an EU board

See, whats bothering my mind is the number of champions. Right now we have a new chamion on quite a regular time schedule. For ppl playing the game for quite some time (months eg) this is exciting and fun. For newer players its just even more confusing. There are already 80+ champions. Which means I have to play at least 80+ games to just try every champion 1 time. And after that I still havent all the skills etc memorized.

My fear is that by releasing champs you will just frustrate new players and for the "old" ones it just gets too much. On a competetive level there will be even more bans required (etc), balancing will be even harder and so on. Not to mention the simple fact that we can't memorize every champ. So sometimes you just forget about a champ... and also the other way round, FOTMs...

How are you gonna handle the increasing amout of champions? Are you planning on champion pools? For instance, summoner level 1-10 has 30champs avaliable, 11-20 60champs, and 21-30 all of them.
Or what are your plans to deal with this problem?
I'm not generally involved in looking at these sort of high level, long term issues so can't comment in any detail on this sort of stuff sorry. I do know though that the impact of a growing champion pool on new and returning players is an issue we have talked about and are keeping in mind r.e. making it easier for players to get information on unfamiliar champs, predict a champion's primary damage type from their appearance etc.

Sinulca

14-12-2011

Ok. Post too long. Short version:

-An ability that combines your champ with an ally champ, taking all the damage the ally would take, constantly reducing its life while healing the ally for the same amount.

-Slippery ground, if enemies try to move on it, their movement is slightly randomized but still controllable.

-Channeled ability that makes you control minions.

-Ability that splits you into 2, reactivating it makes you switch places with the clone immediately and you can only die if both you and the clone are killed.

Application idea: A slime champ.

The Chaotic

14-12-2011

Hi Meddler.

1 - i was always thinking about a long range nuke spell which travels over time and can be used to teleport to target location ( like puck Q from DoTa). The point is u can choose if u want to teleport to nuke projectile position or not

2 - And i saw ur arguements against HoT spells. But Volibear passiv also can be great used and is similar to an HoT spell. Also Jannas ulti is a Heal over Time and even without the push out effect, it can be often used to enhance situations for ur team. So it could be the ultimate of a new supporter with a high amount of heal or sth like this.

3 - i also often thought about a "multiple stun" like u mark an enemy, then u can stun him 3 times for like 0,2 or 0,3 seconds with and avaible period of 2 sec between the stuns to interrupt and control the enemy ( this could be also ans silence instead of a stun)
this spell would fit great as the offensive spell to a supporter

4 - i often asked myself if u can create an spell that creats and illusion of you ( no cast time ) and the illusion running the opposite way of ur champion or like an 30 angle to ur path

i found this thread and cant read it all so sorry for multiple suggestions maybe, cheers!

kr00t0n

14-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Fox View Post
Another thing I really like is a champ that can be built many different ways. I remember way back when Riot would release champs that scaled in a variety of ways hoping they could be played with variation, but it doesn't really happen. Dipping back into ideas from Ragnarok, they have a class that can be built physically, magically, a hard counter to mages, a support (Sage class tree).
That's pretty much what I was thinking about the morphing insect champ I mentioned much earlier on.

His ult would allow for morphing in to either a melee assassin, support tank, or ranged AP, and each morph in to the relevant class buffs the base form of champ in a specific way.

This means the champ can either focus on a specific build, or go for a jack of all trades type deal.

AyuChii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

14-12-2011

Love that you liked my idea Meddler
reminder - target skillshot - 1st target(Minion or Enemy/Ally champ) rooted -2nd target(EnemyChamp) slowly pulled towards the rooted target.

Now , this thread is fantastic ,i get realy exited ready all these cool suggestion , ideas , can almost imagine them working awesome with the game .

A cool thing Riot could for the community would be to release a few champs made from these suggestions and post at the champion spolight/anouncement the names of those responsable for the skillset.

Now some new ideas
1 - circular wall , around a target location , traping enemy inside - like jarvan
also , a skillshot that penetrated the wall and bounces off the interior of the wall X times .hiting whomever is inside X times

2 - Long range javelin that grabs nearby targets - like karma chain , and pulls them along dealing some dmg
deals double dmg if javelin hits a wall smashing pulled targets along with it - stun 1sec
*yea its a combination of vayne + nidale + multiple targets effect