Got a question? Ask a designer!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

08-12-2011
340 of 457 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarčth View Post
First of all big thank you for keeping in touch with and garnering attention to the EUW community!

Now! On to my questions! CHAMPION REMAKES!

Who is in charge of these things and how long does it take roughly for testing to come through and changes to be implemented?

We recently saw the remake on Sivir in the phasing out of dodge- how long can we expect to wait and see Udyr and Jax get some sweet love to?
Live Team is in charge of champion remakes. Time-wise it depends heavily on the champion remake and the priority level of the remake. Heimer for example I've been working on for a couple of months now on and off and is taking a lot longer since it's a project I started on my free time aside from all my normal work stuff and the possible scope of the changes (I wanted to start with some pretty drastic changes and see how it went as opposed to smaller incremental fixes). If they are a primary focus of a designer remakes can take anywhere from a few weeks to a month.

I don't think Udyr needs any love to be honest. He is on the strong side already.

We've been working on Jax and testing is going pretty well (no eta). Jax also is in a good place power-wise but requires a more extensive kit adjustment due to dodge being so integral to his kit.

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

08-12-2011
341 of 457 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenZoneNL View Post
Yo feralpony it's been a while! Any word on heimerdinger?
Overall the kit changes feel solid. Main focus now is to upgrade turret AI. He isn't my top priority at the moment, but I imagine he'll be good to go relatively soon after the holidays. Don't hold me to much to that date though, stuff can always come up which can cause delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basod View Post
Thx for answering my questions Feral!

By far my favourite Rioter. <3
Thanks

FeralPony

Live Balance Designer

08-12-2011
342 of 457 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Lo Hell View Post
Shen taunt cost is too high, make it better bro!
Live team has been testing some changes to Shen. Won't go into details though until they are closer to being finalized.

SANEakaIN

08-12-2011

I was curious on how you guys decide what constitutes being OP and whats not.

Specifically I am confused at the Sion and Lux AP decisions, Lux has had a number of nerfs to her AP ratios and currently stands as a fun champion to play but overall not viable as a AP carry nor as a Support, Sion on the other hand is often banned in matches and has much higher AP ratios which make a AP Sion very dangerous at all phases of the game... and he retains the choice of AD or AP.
Why is it ok to allow Sion insane AP ratios while Lux has suffered being outperformed due to low AP ratios and killer CD's ?

Dont get me wrong here, this isnt a call to nerf or buff anyone I am curious how this balance works, as to my eyes it seems rather random.

If I were to guess it goes by champion popularity and how often that champion gets played, and as Lux is a popular champion for messing about and having fun with the assumption is she doesnt need tweaking whereas a Sion with lower DPS wouldnt be picked up because he isnt really fun just very effective.

Loleon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2011

Hey FeralPony, first of all big thanks for taking your time to answer and engage with so many of our questions and ideas! I have a few myself:

First, are there any plans to make runes cheaper/standardise rune cost across the board? My argument for is that in making runes cheaper, players could experiement with some more "Out there" combinations, affecting their early game in such a way that makes certain champions perhaps more usable, etc. I don't think it would hurt anything personally.

Second, is there a sort of wriggles item for AP users coming at all? If you play AP top lane for example, you really need to be sure you don't get squashed by having wards constantly there. Wriggles allows you to have 1 constant ward up, and that's really all you need if you place it properly. This allows you to be in the lane for a long time, which is especially good against heavy pushers (and of course always a good thing). If I'm a tanky AP user top, someone who can actually stand up to a great deal of brusiers, I feel disadvantaged that they can just spam their wriggles ward whereas I need to constantly buy them. I feel if you added this, it would greatly increase laning variety. I know that "tons of sustain is bad", but some item giving like 30 AP, 15% spell vamp, maybe a defensive stat and the ward use I feel would be a good addition. I play Soraka tanky AP top often, and give a lot of brusiers a run for their money, but eventually I need to either go back to get a bunch of wards, possibly letting them push my tower hard if I don't do it perfectly, or risk getting splattered by the jungler/teleport gank as I have no vision. Other APs top with sustain/tankyness would of course suffer a similar problem, whereas ADs can just buy wriggles and stay there until they REALLY need to go back, rather than just because their ward ran out.

TL;DR - Wriggles like item for AP, as they are disadvantaged solo lane vs AD chars (top or bot) due to the free ward spam from Wriggles with no need to recall to get wards/vision.

Thirdly, whilst not my Idea, but I saw mention of an AD spell vamp item; this would be quite well received I imagine as plenty of underused physical damage champs use mainly physical spells rather than autoattacks to deal damage.

Lastly, are there any plans to change Soraka at all soon? Not that I think she is bad or too poweful etc, but AP Soraka is sort of my 'guilty pleasure' if you can call it that >.>, so just curious .

Thanks for reading!

Mefi Interceptor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2011

Hi guys i got a problem. Is there a posibility for making a change in queue system ? Every time i get to queue on draft, ranked games im last in queue, so i am forced to play support or jungle. Im really sick of this. I heard that guys who are premade are taken to queue 1st, dunno if it's true. My friends dont play often, and I mostly play alone, so I land on end of the queue. Feeling sad about this. Is there a chance to change this?

Ergh

08-12-2011

Hey Feralpony, a question regarding support philosophy from the designer point of view.

Basically, what is your view on the current support role and after the huge jungle changes, will support get the same treatment? I recall a statement of Morello saying that support is too inactive as the brush hugging babysitter doing nothing else than secure AD carry's farm. Is this still the shared opinion of the designers and if it is, any inside news about any possible changes yet?

Lyrkey

09-12-2011

Will ryze get some dmg help early game? He has a pretty bad burst compared to Malzahar,Leblanc,Annie,Akali,Brand and most of the mages, who can probably can take you down from full health to 1/3 or even nuke from 100% hp to dead. Ryze can maybe... half whit full mana runes? You get the idea and hopefully something will happend to this nice old.school champion (Or boost his AP ratios a bit? :O)

Uuni

13-12-2011

Recently I have picked up Karma because of her unique concept and I must say she is highly underrated as an AP carry. It aint all joy though, I noticed some weird things on her:
1. Mantra + Q = same bug as kassadin had with riftwalk, it fires not where you point the cursor but to the direction karma is facing to, haven't tried without smartcast tho
2. Spirit bond cast time - Why does it have one? In heat of the battle when you are trying to make a chase or escape she has to stop in order to cast it. If it had no cast time it would really improve her flow
3. Spirit bond damage - I think it's really problematic, being her highest base damage spell and being unusable as a damage source in 1v1 and often in teamfights as well. It has insane potential but so little usability. It could use a buff like: damage is applied to the targeted enemy when charged with mantra. On teammate cast with mantra charge maybe an extended duration?

Mordaine1337

13-12-2011

Can you reply to my latest topic? (About refunds,I need to know how they work with an example)