HOWTO: League of Legends and proxies. **No third party software required!**

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lynads

28-11-2011

Hello LoL community.

The following is an alternative method for getting LoL working through a proxy to that provided in this thread:
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=191672

Whilst the instructions in the above thread work, this approach is much more simple and elegant: it doesn't require using a third party application like proxifier or proxycap, which, being proprietary software, may not be entirely trustworthy. Nor does it require access to an additional external proxy (for example, with Your Freedom), which will usually make the launcher much slower. As such, I think this method will be much better for the majority of users.

The Method
The method below is for use in Windows 7, and consists of defining an enviroment variable called "all_proxy" (without the quotes). For older versions of Windows, this procedure should still work, but you will have to Google how to set enviroment variables under that older version.

NOTE: setting the all_proxy variable will, in theory, make all programs use this variable to start up, so it may also fix many other games with connection problems. However, not all progrms will actually use the variable at all, and these will be unaffected.

1. Right click on My Computer, and select properties.
2. Click "Advanced system settings" in the sidebar
3. Under the "Advanced" tab, click "Environment variables"
4. There are 2 types of environment variable. If you want to set up the proxy as a systemwide variable (for all users), make click "New" under "System variables". Otherwise, create it under "User variables for $USERNAME", where $USERNAME is, well, your username...
5. Type "all_proxy" (again, without the quotes) as the variable name, and then your proxy address in the form "$HOSTNAME:$PORT", where $HOSTNAME is the hostname or IP of the proxy and $PORT is the port through which you want to connect. You should know these: they depend on the proxy you are using.
6. Hit OK, OK and OK!
7. Done!

Feel free to ask any questions if you have trouble, I will try to help, to the best of my abilities. If you do ask, please do provide enough information about what doesn't work though! Neither I or anyone else will be able to help otherwise.

Cheers,

Dan

JackalBG

02-12-2011

Hey man, you found a terrific solution, I was amazed that it was so much more simple and effective than what everyone else has been telling me, but Iím afraid it only works half-way for me. It fixes the Ďundefinedí issue and Iím able to get past the launcher, but after that when I try to fill in my info and log in I am told that Ďserver is currently busy; etcí

Iím pretty sure that the network is still at fault for this problem, because I tried the various suggestions on the forums, like adjusting my clock, fixing IE, etc. (note: I may have done it wrong, but there is no way I can tell) The university network blocks direct contact through the 443 and 80 ports and I thing this could be connected.

It would be great if someone else using this network tried your solution and posted if they were able to log in, or if they hit another roadblock like me. As is, I donít think I have enough information to help you conjure up a solution, though Iíd be really grateful if by some miracle you manage. Havenít played lol in two months and I really miss it. ;d

Dyf91

03-12-2011

I finally managed to get this method to work at my uni (Lancaster) after trying every possible way to find out what bloody IP and port they used, it turned out that all I needed to do was use the hostname (the cache you have to enter into "automatically detect settings") and the port 8080.

Just thought I'd post to let people know it worked for me, and so other people at Lancaster don't have my problem.

mirula

03-12-2011

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but using this method or the proxycap method I still get the message "RADS Error Could not connect to the HTTP server. Please check your internet connection is enabled and that your firewall is not blocking access." However, when using Proxycap/Your freedom I've found that turning it off to load the launcher works. Is there something else I need to do?

(I'm using 127.0.0.1 as my hostname and 1080 as the port - does this sound right?)

BoosterSieben

06-12-2011

anything new on this? - proxycap doenst work anymore and the method you said is leading to the error that mirula wrote.

i took localhost:1080 as variable and trying to lead it trough yourfreedom.

Sid3way

06-12-2011

Hi !

Just tried it out and not working for me because of blocked ports on my proxy, I'm going back to the proxycap/YF method.
Nice try btw

mirula

06-12-2011

I've looked at using an open proxy ip to use this method, but I cant find one that works properly - what type of proxy do we need to use? HTTP (80 or 8080) or SOCKS (1080). And is there anyone who uses this with an external proxy (and what is the address?) As Opa said, I cant connect anymore, since Proxycap no longer works for me, and I'm having trouble forwarding to your freedom - is there a way of making this re-route through to their servers?

mirula

07-12-2011

(a little bit of a bump)

It doesnt seem to matter what proxy I use, I cant seem to get past the 'cannot connect to PvP' error...

Rickkkkkkk

14-01-2012

anyone get any further on how to do this?

i tried all the options and when i do nothing i get 'undefinded', when i try, it says the http error :S

Fatnoj

05-09-2012

Hi,

I'm using windows XP at work with a proxy.
Lol didnt wanna start the download, with that error "could not connect to the http server league of legends proxy". My firewall computer's disable.
League of legends rlly needs to get the adress proxy (ip / port) to reach the server.

That method is workin very well, thanks for sharing !

Have a nice day.