A letter to Riot [constructive analysis inside]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Consultant

30-06-2011

Dear Riot,

I understand and accept your decision to split the EU server, but from a Community Relations perspective it has been handled in a less than optimal way. The main problem the community is having with the split rests on the geographical boundaries suggested by the names of the two servers ("Nordic and East" and "West"). Generic names or, even better, names inspired by League of Legends lore would have been a far better choice. Please allow me to elaborate.

Europe is a multifaceted geographic region that is better handled either in its entirety (“Europe”) or by referring concrete nations (“Germany”,”Italy”,”Portugal”). Anything in-between is bound to create tensions. Complicated sentiments between nations and often irritating self-image problems make a split a very sensible issue for a large part of the player base: “Why are countries X and Y together?”, “Why do I have to play with Z?” It sounds trivial but it has to be taken into consideration. Naming the servers in a geographically and by that a culturally agnostic way, would have created a far less uproar. As an interesting side note, the problems you are facing are, in essence, the same problems the European Union has been faced with since its foundation over 50 years ago.

From a technical standpoint I cannot imagine that the servers will be in different locations. It would only raise costs (double on-site personnel, management overhead etc.) with no noticeable impact on network/game performance (latency between Greece and Britain is not worse than between Greece and Norway). Moreover, the abstract naming of the servers would have allowed for greater flexibility in managing the player base split: Using a clustering algorithm “friend networks” can be found. While partitioning the sum of these networks optimally to each server is an instance of the “Partition Problem” (which is NP-complete) good heuristic solutions exist. If some “friend networks” are too large, then they are to be split with minimal cost e.g. by severing only a single “friend connection”. This split can also be heuristically determined (I assume there is some kind of game history data to find out if a player hasn’t played with somebody for over a year). The resulting player bases of the two new servers will, in all likelihood, be just as varied as the current server. The data-mining could even be done before the announcement in order to better estimate the effect of the split and thus enabling a better management of the situation.

To conclude: I love this game and I truly believe that with the right strategic decisions it can become the first true online sport.

Also: I wouldn’t say no to a job offer and/or a Maokai buff. :-)

Good luck with the migration,
M.Comp.Sc. “The Consultant”

The Consultant

30-06-2011

Bump because the board is filled with spam and I would like to have a decent discussion about this

nhecnhec

30-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Consultant View Post
Bump because the board is filled with spam and I would like to have a decent discussion about this
This thread needs a tl:dr

The Consultant

30-06-2011

TL;DR: Riot give me a job so this doesn't happen again.

nhecnhec

30-06-2011

Quote:
I've been working on clustering algorithms for quite some time now
RIOT, gief job to me also.

On a more serious note now, you can make a thread where we can discuss and suggest way's of doing the split more in depthly(does this word exist?)
Discussing algorithms and such to do that, and getting to know better how Riot is going to do it sounds like productive.

Theopt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

30-06-2011

/sign

The Consultant

30-06-2011

But start the thread where? The forums are flooding right now. So maybe later? It would pretty great if RIOT could give out some info about the data structure.

Persephona

30-06-2011

Quote:
pro

nhecnhec

30-06-2011

Quote:
But start the thread where? The forums are flooding right now. So maybe later? It would pretty great if RIOT could give out some info about the data structure.
Help & Support Forums woud be a good place to start that thread I think.
But I really dont think Riot is gonna give much information about the data structure, if I was the one doing it, id try to hide it as much as I coud.
But yeah, woud be really cool if they did it, because ppl like me are actually studying those subjects in University.

Kharpablo

30-06-2011

I kind a agree on that. Just by making EU-1 and EU-2 realms without regional restirictions would have worked so much better. Freedom of real choice would have made the transition so much more fluent. It is quite common that people who share similar attitudes and way of life seem to form communitys, whenever it is in real life or in virtual enviroment. In the long run that model would have offered more even populations between the servers.

Now Riot mixed in peoples identity, and judging from the feedback that didin't go too well. As a result we will propably get overflowing western servers where in worst case scenario east will suffer from lack of competive play or even long game ques due too small playerbase.