Hello I am Ninjafuya a Diamond I jungler.
I have been playing since season 1 where I achieved an amazing top elo of unranked after countless games not even making it to 1200 elo.
In season 2 I started getting competitive and joined some teams and by the end of the season managed to reach platinum after being stuck in 1400 elo for the longest time dropping and back up.
This season I really started looking at my mistakes and joined some great teams and learnt a lot about the game. I made this document to analyze my play and since doing this i have improved a lot.
The main thing you need to realise if you are stuck in a certain elo bracket and believe you deserve higher is that, there is no elo hell.
If you are stuck in a range it's because you currently belong there. There are SO many things you can do to win games you just need to learn what they are.
I main jungle and i would really love to help a lot of junglers out there because jungling i believe is the most game changing role in soloqueue you effect every role and outcome of the game straight off the bat. And if one jungler is superior to the other in 90% of cases that jungler is going to win.
There are so many things you can do to win/ improve some things that will definitely help:
- Basics -
Quickcast: I suggest turning quick cast all ON, This will allow you to execute combos faster as there will be no delay between having to click the item/ability twice. It will take a while to get used to but will be worth it in the end. It will also help you place wards faster which can be the difference between life and death.
If you go into settings and interface under ability and attack display you can change what missiles look like when smartcasting and set it to still show range or not. Play around with it till you find what you like
Selfcast Ability: You should have binds for all your abilities, I use Shift+QWER for example this helps with instantly healing yourself as kayle shielding yourself as orianna and ulting yourself as lissandra/kayle among other champions who self cast abilities and is definitely the difference between life and death.
Level up Ability: You should have binds for all your abilities for these, I use Ctrl+QWER for example you could turn 6 during a fight and then level up the ability and instantly cast your ultimate completely changing the outcome of the fight. This is very important. You shouldn't be clicking on your ability bar to level up abilities.
- General Soloqueue -
The mentality you should have for every soloqueue game is that you are currently winning and that your choices are what will change whether you actually win or not.
You should NEVER flame or be negative, this includes being passive aggressive or sarcastic. All this does is annoy your teammates and cause arguments and isn't going to help you win. You should only type in chat things that will aid your team.
This also means never using the word report ingame and if someone on your team is raging and saying they are going to report someone or to report someone say don't report them, and that maybe they are having a bad game and that you can still win. This gives the person being flamed or possibly toxic person someone on the team who is their ally and they will be less inclined to troll if there is someone there who they like.
When you want to make plays like dragon, baron, invades or a gank. Ping ASSIST ME twice to make sure it's seen. What this does is shows your team that you want to make the play as it says YOUR name when you ping it, what this does is gives your team someone to trust as if it fails they know who to blame, YOU. whereas if you just do a normal ping it could be anyone and people tend to follow the call less than if it's someone in particular making the call.
If you consistently make good calls throughout the game with the assist me ping people will trust you more and more and you will eventually become the team leader in soloqueue and people will do whatever you say.
And if a call goes wrong? you improve you realise the call you made was wrong and you will learn not to do it again this is one way to get better at league.
Champion Select: As soon as you get into champion select you want to start influencing the game as soon as possible. You should know what good picks and bans are, check which side of the map you are BLUE/PURPLE, if blue you want to get First pick on an OP champ if possible currently some of the strongest champions(contested) in soloqueue are Fizz/Aatrox/Zed/Ahri/Kassadin/Jinx/Corki/Kayle/Annie/Thresh.
So on blue side first picking any of these are very ideal however champions you definitely do not want on the enemy team are usually Fizz/Ahri/Kassadin <- You want these champions banned every game unless you are first picking as they are very strong on the current patch so make sure to tell your FP to ban them unless first picking. The enemy team will usually ban some of these champs themselves so if they do you can ban some of the others.
^^^THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO PATCHES^^^
Once bans are done and the first pick takes their champion, make sure to say to your team to remember their RUNES and MASTERIES make sure to put those in capslock so they see it. Also if there are people on your team swapping make sure they swap by telling them beforehand.
You should never get someone on your team who forgot their runes and masteries or forgot to swap if you remember to do this every game! it's up to you.
Yes people argue in champion select so just try to calm them down if not dont worry it's only a fraction of the game.
If you believe for whatever reason that the game is 100% lost in championselect ( some guy is trolling hardcore and/or his match history is full of games of 0/20/0 (intentionally feeding) ) then dodge. it's better to lose -3 than -20 unless ofcourse you're in a series then try your best to win.
Just remember not to dodge too much as 90% of games are winnable and never dodge twice in one day.
Look at your team vs the enemy team, think about how the lane matchups will go and how you and the enemy jungler will come into it. Think about which lanes will push who is stronger early/mid and lategame and which jungle path you are going to take and items you will be building with all of this taken into account.
I ALWAYS try to make a play lvl 1 with my team so i tell them IN CHAMPIONSELECT not to be afk lvl 1 as I want to invade/make a play. So when the game starts immedately right click off the fountain and buy your items at the same time while your champion moves and do an ASSIST ME PING on where you are invading/Defending. You will see me do this all the time if you watch my stream and you will learn where and how you can invade and how to defend lvl 1.
- General Jungling -
There is so much info that could be put here but I have to keep it brief before TLDR.
- As a jungler you need to have the best map awareness on not only your team but better than the enemy team. You need to CONSTANTLY be watching the map while clearing camps etc and if you get sight of the enemy jungle do a ping on them if they are initiating a gank do a DANGER ping on them twice.
- You need to be thinking constantly where the enemy jungler is, the battle isn't just about ganking the enemy lanes but you need to be COUNTERganking the enemy jungler and COUNTERjungling. For example if your toplane is someone who is susceptible to an early gank and will push early. then run top after your 2nd buff and sit in the lane bush and wait for the enemy jungler to come and kill them.
- Focus the right targets on ganks/counterganks, As a jungler it's a basic rule to focus the double buffed champion during fights, as if you kill them it's much more worth that they lost doubles also double buff usually = more damage output that whoever else is around.
- Look at minion waves, there's no point running all the way to toplane when the wave is pushing towards the enemy laner all you do is waste your time when you could be jungling UNLESS you think the enemy jungler is coming then it's very good to attempt to countergank.
- BUY WARDS, I can't stress this enough I buy many wards throughout a game as a jungler, this includes pinks i usually always buy one pink after my first base and use this to gank bot usually by pinking the tri or dragon. Wards also help your teammates survive ganks from the ENEMY jungler as they have vision on them. Instead of complaining to your lanes that dont ward ask nicely for them to buy a ward and if they don't just buy one for them.
- Babysit, Keep an eye on your team, Check their health, items etc if your laners ward runs out it's YOUR job as the guy who want's to win to tell them their ward has ran out and that they should buy a new one.
If someone is having trouble for example getting shoved to their tower on low hp go there and push the wave for them so they can base safely instead of getting dived OR even better wait around for the dive to happen and then counter it and pick up a kill or two if the enemy jungler was involved too.
- TIME SUMMONER SPELLS AND BUFFS, If you aren't doing this you should be, when you gank a lane and they flash time it, it is 5 minutes for people without the utility mastery which is usually for everyone except the supports.
This will allow you to make plays easier knowing someones flash is down. Also you should time all dragons, blue's, red's and barons and get your team to be at the dragon when it respawns/ have baron prepared with oracles etc or do it instantly if possible. Dragon respawns after 6minutes, Baron 7 and Blue/Red after 5
As for buffs in the jungle you should try and clear your buffs asap so that the enemy jungler or worse enemy toplaner doesn't take them. You can also time enemy junglers buffs to counterjungle but do not force invades as it's not worth dying to steal a buff.
Remember to use the ASSIST ME ping when doing objectives(dragons/inhibs/barons/buffs/towers/ganks).
- Trust your OWN instinct, you will get teammates who spam OMG GANK PLS GANK and they're playing a champion with 0 kill potential on the enemy laner. Analyse the situation yourself, and if you find a lane is ungankable do not waste your time ganking that lane and gank somewhere else or carry on farming for items to allow you to make plays. However in that situation you may be able to push the lane with your laner instead of ganking forcing the enemy jungler to comedown and in a small skirmish you may be able to win that fight and if not you will eventually be able to deal damage to the tower or even get it.
- Deep ward the enemy jungle wherever possible, you will see where I place wards in the enemy jungle when I stream but just try to get wards down if you can that allow you to see the enemy jungler doing/moving between camps this will let your team always know which side of the map they are on, it will also allow you to counterjungle or potentially kill the enemy jungler if you can see they are vulnerable you can ask your team to collapse on them with the ASSIST ME ping.
- Don't forget oracles exists. It's a great item to get around mid-lategame. If your support can't get it, you should. It Will allow you to pressure baron and catch out enemies.
- Make sure your support knows who is buying aegis, I tend never to actually buy this so i tell my support to get it.
- If you ganked and took all the kills it's up to YOU to carry, You should build a damage item in this case to snowball.
- If you see an enemy use ult tell your team they have no ult and even better time it if you know that champions ultimate cooldown.
- Do not only base your ganking potential on your abilities, look at the green circle near your teammates pictures on the left and check if they have ultimates if they do, try to make plays using their ultimates. You want to utilize your teammates as best you can. If someone's ult is down ask them how long till it's up, you want to especially be doing this when you have someone with globals on your team for example shen. Sometimes shens forget to telport so you can do an assist me ping on them on the minimap if they need to TP in and they will.
- Take into account enemy abilities when ganking if someone has an escape like Ezreal's E or tryndameres E try and get the lane to bait out those abilities first and if not possible you will just have to chain your CC together and land your skillshots to secure the kill or force a flash. If you don't think any of this is possible gank a different lane.
- Utilize your teammates teleports if you have one. Try to make plays botlane with your toplaners/midlaners teleport when it's off cooldown for example by asking them when it's up and telling them to teleport.
- It's usually never a good idea to trade 1 for 1, the only time this is good is when the enemy has a huge bounty or they had doublebuff. It's certainly never good to die with your doublebuffs.
- Always give your Midlaner Blue unless they don't use mana or unless there is someone around trying to steal it then just smite it to be safe.
- Lane tax, If someone on your team dies, and you are nearby go to the lane to defend the tower and take the CS to RESET the lane to center. You do not want to push the lane so that they are zoned. When you succesfully pull of a gank you want to push the lane you are in and try to take as much cs as you can while doing so.
I really could go on about more things you can do and should be doing but I don't want to write a novel. If you really do want to find out more or have questions just follow me on twitch or ask below.
I stream at Twitch.tv/masterfuya and try to explain all my actions when playing soloqueue, I also stream a lot of premade 5s so you can see the different strategies a jungler can use there too. Feel free to follow will be streaming a lot more from 29th of October (new ISP !)
If you have any direct questions you can ask in the comments I will check this thread out.
If you really really want to improve I made a blank sheet of the same thing I used to see my mistakes and what I should do. Just try and fill this out after every game of soloqueue and read over it before you start soloqueuing in a day. And it will help you a lot. You can click File at the top and make a copy of it to edit yourself if you have a gmail account(youtube account).
I have written a Kayle guide on lolking which is highly detailed ( Kayle is my main champion and I can play her pretty much anywhere) I guarantee if you read this guide you are going to improve and definitely gain some elo
I have also written a skarner guide however with the skarner remake around the corner this is soon to need heavy updating
I used to main mid, then with my duo partner I started supporting. In cases I had to end up with someone else to support and figured it won't work the same. Most of time I find it hard to create a good synergy with some random stranger and the games started to be like
If I go mid, support feeds/ignores the ward and I hate myself for letting someone else support
If I support, mid feeds enemy mid stomps us all and I hate myself for letting someone else go mid
If my husband goes adc, top feeds miserably and enemy top stomps us all and he hates that he's not top
If my husband goes top, same goes for adc xD and he hates, well you know what.
I liked elise so much I bought her right away and tried jungling but had no idea to do much so I gave her a rest, I jungled with eve before (and had a crazy roam 0cs stomp at s1 when she had stun playstle) but I guess I never adapted to new eve then, so I was inexperienced on the matter. After watching worlds, I decided to focus on her more and starting with her, make my main jungle. Coz as you say, jungler has the most effect to the game. I think I have some general understanding about the game since I've been supporting in the game for a long time, I watched the game a lot while supporting and lately, I'd force my jungler to steal enemy blue when I see enemy jungler at top etc. So I decided I could put that info to good use.
My problem is right now, I know what I know but I know there are much I have no idea of. For example even when I read those I fail to see the importance on those. I really want to improve but when I lose I ask myself "What could I do to make it a win?" and sadly i'm in that part where I have no idea. I know my cs is way too little when I jungle (I play still as if it's s1, I'm roaming with eve after lvl4 and assisting mid a kill and rushing lichbane+mejai and 20 min ff) My duo partner says I should work on my cs but, I feel if I waste time at my jungle, I might end up missing a chance on getting objectives. Only my last game with her was a utter misery where I had no focus coz of personal reasons mostly and just played the game coz my duo partner (a.k.a. husband) asked to play and I took my leave on ranked after the game as any responsible summoner but after the learning phase with her, I experienced few losses and was on a winning streak for myself. When I asked him he said "you can figure rest out but you seriously need to work on your cs"
You see, I read that and I look at my cs count but I have no idea how to balance my aggresive roaming with farming. I farm enemy jungle if I can, I always buy 1 pink ward (if I'm not forced to back after an untimely encounter) and force drag when I see the window of opportunity or at least solo it after golem item. I get early kills and that compensates for my cs loss but if I can't, that's I guess when I don't know what to do. Guess I don't know how to comeback, if I snowball it's good and swell. But if I can't grab 1 or 2 kills in 6 min mark, I have no idea how to get back.
Another thing, I'm obsessed with split push. When I see 20 creeps rushing to a inner when we are already sieging one, I expect someone to go there and force the enemy to split. Just like the impossible desicion. I find that genious (the fact that I always try to force it makes me proud lol) but when I see no one goes there, I end up going there and asking my teammates to "stall". Some say that's wrong but I don't understand how this can be wrong? "If the enemy force a 4vs5" well "stall" means be safe but stall them. Don't let them come near you or near me while I finish the turret, make them waste time.
Is that really a bad idea all the time? My husband says to leave the split pushing to him, but I find that's his bad not going there in the 1st place (assuming he's shen) Or just letting creeps push is good enough as a pressure? I'm totally lost at that position. My husband said "You know where to be at early/mid but you have NO idea where you gotta be at endgame"
So I'd appreciate if you help me. I'm not all about "I'm stuck here blah" but I know I mostly have some more understanding than my teammates in general. And I know I'm not that good at putting the information on good use. Being new to the jungle brings more questions and leading one is "What can I do more? And which goes unanswered.
One last thing, I love mages, hate adcs and despise bruizer/tanky champs. After mid main, I swapped to support and had my fun there but at the point where in my division, as I said before I find it hard to support a random stranger. Especially after getting used to 1 person's playstyle. Anyways, I enjoy weird mage supports as well. For example thresh and leona are tanky and I almost never pick them unless it's a 100% counter to some team compositions (not bot lane comps, I trust myself enough to beat any counters on that issue) Soo I jungle with elise, jungled with eve and for a while diana. Next jungler, recommendations. Even if not ap, I like casters and skillshots so I'm leaning towards lee. After mastering these two who else? I'm pretty sure I hate vi, j4 and mao. Guess I like assassins with strong gank potentials. Who do you recommend?
Thank you for your share, I'd really like to learn more from you.
What do you do in the next scenario:
You see all the enemies invading your blue, my teamm has no vision whatsover
You start red because you don't know if they are still there+they have a better lvl 1 comp
Do I rush to their blue or do I just take my own jungle
I was on the bottom side of the map, fiddle and I chose to play save and stay in my own jungle.
Could I have done something better ?
© 2015 Riot Games, Inc. All rights reserved. Riot Games, League of Legends and PvP.net are trademarks, services marks, or registered trademarks of Riot Games, Inc.