(School project) An e-sports channel on television

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

almostNL

14-05-2013

RedbloodNL, XoutX and me are doing a school project, we want to make a television channel about Esports, maybe for league of legends only.
It is a project about making your own company, and i came up with the idea to make a channel dedicated to e-sports, because if it works in korea, why wouldn't it work in the EU(maybe US as well)

If we could bring the stream on twitch, azubu or youtube to the television screen, it would be enough. My friends sometimes came over to my place, i linked my PC to my television via a HDMI-cable and it work smoothly enough, besides the fact that i had to move my ****ing pc through the house.

Also, some people dont have the internet to watch the matches in 720p, and i know VOD is the future, but i'd rather watch a football match live on TV, than later, its just not the same feeling.

I want to ask you, the league of legends community(who actually are active on the forums and are not the avg. jerk), what you think of a channel for esports.

And how would you pay for something like this, we were thinking of an app, that has premium features, like the chat, exclusive interviews etc.

Thank you very much for responding, its for school, after all :P

TL: DR
What do you think of an e-sports channel on television?

Zakum Helmet

Recruiter

14-05-2013

I love the idea of it, but I personally don't think it would work. Simply because those who play LoL play it from their computers and so do they watch the streams from their computers. Those who would like to see it displayed from their television screen, would indeed just use an HDMI-cable (I've done that multiple times before as well, just like many others) and there wouldn't truely be a need to have a television channel which does something that we can simulate ourselves as well.
The demand would probably be too low and not many people would be willing to pay for something which they can basically get for free (They will only need to buy an HDMI-cable or anything to link your PC to your TV once)

Caridor

14-05-2013

On the subject of cost, I wouldn't pay for such a thing.
The simple fact is that until the marketplace changes, I have no need to pay for it. I can get it all for free.

But on the subject of the channel, I think that currently, E-sports is too niche in the west. A TV is used for when multiple people want to watch something together. This doesn't happen often in E-sports.

But as a school project, go right ahead. They will eat that up

DuDjentleman

14-05-2013

Awesome idea on paper but TV channels are expensive operations.

There are two options to pay for it, sharing the channel with other companies and advertisments.
The very first thing you need though is quality content, without content you have no viewers, without viewers you have no advertisment revenue.
You could make it into a global channel covering LoL in all regions, or you could instead just focus on europe but then include other esports.
I would suggest a weekly news bulletin show covering major esports news and events from around the world, this would really set the tone for the channel.

For filler, you could showcase LoL games from the top of the rankings or from user-created tournaments. Maybe even contact all the LoL esports clubs in universities and colleges and have a sort of university challenge show.

Possibilities are endless